Monday 13 June 2011

Griffiths Valuation

Most researchers with an Irish interest would know of the Griffiths Valuation from the mid 1800's. I believe many are unaware of the fact that you are able to track the same property through the subsequent years.
Some months ago I was in Dublin looking up some of my ancestors in valuation records ( also looking a few others  for fellow researchers) and found some very interesting facts.
What with parish registers and gut instinct I had always suspected that my Gx2 Grandfather had moved from one parish to another in the same county though I could not prove it.
Checking the Griffiths valuation I of course had a name but the name wasn't the most uncommon of names.
When checking subsequent valuation records I was able to see who took over from the property (1870's) which fitted in exactly to when he would of moved to a town a few miles away.It did help that I knew he was a publican.....what is interesting about these records is if the family stayed on the land for a couple of generations (at least) this shows a researcher who exactly lived here. These records go forward as far as 1977. (head of household only)
It can be expensive to research these records and for the first time researcher quite confusing (colour coded) but after an hour or so you get used to it.
I recommend to those that have their ancestors in the Griffiths to take that extra step.
Always here to help. Email me! click here

2 comments:

  1. Is there a lot of detail within the original record for the Griffith's Valuation or does it just list the property owner's name? I am just wondering how people can identify the correct ancestor without additional information to pinpoint the property.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only detail is the head of household,size of property,landlord and value with amount to be paid.
    As you know in many circustances the townland is recorded at baptism, if the name isn't too common and following records at the valuation office you can build up a picture.
    Remember a townland might consist of a few fields and a scattering of a few cottages.
    Also you can go for newspaper records too, which adds to the evidence.

    ReplyDelete