Wednesday 22 June 2011

Headstones


With Irish records we rely on mainly parish records and birth , marriage and death registration, There are valuation records too which give limited information.We also have memorial inscriptions but of course these are limited.
I hit the jackpot on the latter as I found the headstones (pictured above) whch included my Gx2 Gx3 and Gx4 Grandparents. I do not expect to make such a find in my ancestry again!
One has to allow for transcription errors and of course the ages might be a couple of years out.
The following transcription is for the headsone on the left and anything I add will be in a smaller font. 

McKENNA.

Erected by James and Mary McKenna (my Gx2) of Dunleer , in memory of their beloved son Owen who died 8th Feby, 1852 aged 2 years. Also the above James who departed this life 27th Jany. 1861 aged 49 years. And also the above Mary McKenna his wife who departed this life 14th January 1875 aged 45 years and Michael McKenna son of the above named died 30th July 1914 aged 57 years. (Michael McKenna met Charles S. Parnell as part of delegation in Dunleer)  And also his wife Anna McKenna who died 27th May 1916 aged 55 years.
Requiescant in Pace.

I shall add details of the other headstone at a later date. Email me! click here

No comments:

Post a Comment