Friday 9 November 2012

Griffiths Valuation & Cancellation Books

I have discussed this before but I thought I would give another example of the griffith's and the cancellation books.

I couldn't see my Savage ancestors in the griffith's valuation so I went through the cancellation books in Dublin for that area where I knew they lived in the early 1860's. This is a very good way of seeing who owned/rented the property before my gx2 grandfather.
Of course you can also see through out the years who the next and next etc. tenant was.



This not so great photograph (c.1861) is of the original entry. Arthur Savage was my Gx2 grandfather from Co Meath, Ireland.





Email me! click here

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about the Cancellation Books. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete