Saturday 11 February 2012

Monsignor John Stokes updated.

Over the last few weeks I have been working on the family history of Monsignor John Francis Stokes 1896-1967.

John Francis Stokes was born on the 12th April 1896 Failsworth, Lancahire. John was one of 10 children with 5 being born in Liverpool and the other 5 in the Manchester/Oldham area.

John's parents were from Co Louth and his mother was a sister to my great grandmother.I have his mother's family back to the 1700's and I also have records on his father's side too.


Msgr. Stokes was very well known cleric who did huge work in Dundalk and Drogheda, Co Louth. He was particularly well known for managing to get schools built in the town as well as many other projects.

My research has managed to find a full page report on his funeral where my grandmother and other relations are recorded as attending, photographs, records from England, records from Co. Louth and even a film clip from Pathé on Cardinal Cushing's (of Boston) visit to Drogheda. (Note the commentator's terrible pronunciation of Drogheda.)

Msgr. John Francis Stokes is to the right (as you see it) of Cardinal Cushing.
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/cardinal-cushing-made-freeman-special Email me! click here

No comments:

Post a Comment